A simple guide to help you make an informed decision about rehabilitation & nursing home care.
How To Use This Guide: As you enter and go through the building, you will want answers to these questions. Some will be answered by your observations while others will require you to ask someone in the Rehabilitation Center/Nursing Home. If you ask a question and the person tries not to answer it or gives unsure answers, continue to ask. If you are not hearing good, solid, honest responses, you may want to seek your rehabilitation and nursing home care elsewhere.
1. Is the rehabilitation center odor free?
2. Is the nursing home atmosphere friendly and pleasant?
3. Are there attractive lounges available for families to visit?
4. Are there attractive, comfortable outside recreation areas for resident use?
THE REHABILITATION CENTER/NURSING HOME STAFF:
1. Is the staff courteous and respectful to the residents?
2. Was the person you talked with knowledgeable and helpful?
3. Were you introduced to other staff members, nurses or therapists?
4. Was the tour guide friendly with staff members and residents during the tour?
1. Do the residents appear to be happy?
2. May family and friends visit at any time?
3. May the resident rooms be furnished with personal belongings?
4. Is there an active resident’s council?
5. Are there activities available for residents?
THE DINING ROOM:
1. Is the dining room clean and pleasant in appearance?
2. What type of service is it – cafeteria style or restaurant style dining?
3. What type of food is served? Ask for a sample meal – if possible.
1. Is the center Medicare, Medicaid, and Insurance qualified?
2. Is there assistance available in applying for financial assistance?
3. Are therapy programs available?
4. Does the center offer physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and outpatient therapy?
5. Ask to see the therapy gym, speak with a therapist?
6. Were the safety features in the center explained?
7. Will they assist you with providing physicians and other medical needs?
8. Is there a beautician or barber available in the center?
9. Were you given a complete and unhurried tour?
10. Were you given a brochure and other information?
11. Is there an assisted living community available for post rehabilitation, if necessary?